I first went to Kyrgyzstan in October 2015 and absolutely loved it. I raved about it so much to my friends and family that some of them even booked trips there! In 2018 I got to go back, not once but twice and I fell in love with it even more. So, I thought it was only right that I should share some of my ramblings about why you too, should visit Kyrgyzstan.
Since I emote visually this is more of a photo essay but I’ll give you some basic information on the country first. Kyrgyzstan is a landlocked country, 80% of which is covered by the Tian Shan mountains. It’s considered the Switzerland of Central Asia, so as a self-confessed mountain girl, there is no wonder why I love it so much. If you love to hike or ride horses, then Kyrgyzstan should be at the top of your bucket list. Also, It’s visa free for most citizens which makes a visit to Kyrgyzstan pretty easy.
As a post Soviet country, Kyrgyzstan gained independence in 1991. It is one of the world’s least crowded countries, which is probably another reason why I love it so much and just 36% of the population live in rural areas. Finally, they have gold, lots of it! Kumtor Gold Mine in the Tian Shan mountains is one of the largest gold deposits in the world, so unsurprisingly, gold is Kyrgyzstan’s biggest export.
Top nerdy fact: Proper nouns aren’t allowed in Scrabble but if they were, Kyrgyzstan would score 30 points. There’s only one other country that would score higher (write in the comments below if you know the answer!)
Scrabble scores aside, here are 22 reasons why Kyrgyzstan is one of my favourite countries.
- They have the most amazing alpine scenery.
2. But it’s not all just mountains and lakes…
3. The roads are fun to drive!
You might also be interesting this post about overland travel
4. Traffic isn’t too much of an issue…
5. They have some of the best yurts.
6. And they put them in the best locations.
7. Selfie spots in awesome places are easy to find
8. Even the animals hang out in awesome spots!
9. Their idea of sport is a little different…
10. You can do some amazing hiking.
11. You can camp on the beach….
12. Or in the mountains…..
13. Or in the sand dunes!
14. They have some badass Soviet trucks….
15. And Yaks….
16. And Eagle Hunters.
17. The night sky is unreal….
18. And the sunsets are pretty good too.
19 They have some interesting history.
20. Finding places to rest is easy.
21. When you go horse riding you’ll be provided with these awesome Bob the Builder helmets!
22. And after you’ve finished all that….the capital city Bishkek has Micro Breweries and gigantic beers!
And there we go, my 22 reasons why you should visit Kyrgyzstan. Hope you enjoyed! As always if you want to see more photos of my time in Kyrgyzstan head on over to my photography website.
The best guide book for Kyrgyzstan is Bradt which you can pick up here.
Join up to my monthly newsletter today! No spam, I promise!
Like it? Pin it for later!